Last Friday, Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada (LACSN) celebrated its 22nd annual Pro Bono Awards luncheon at Wynn Las Vegas. The luncheon recognized outstanding pro bono lawyers and law firms in Southern Nevada. Volunteer attorneys throughout Clark County have contributed more than 14,000 hours of direct representation time through LACSN and have helped more than 4,000 of our community’s most vulnerable people fight injustice pro bono.
“We are so grateful for the efforts of our compassionate pro bono attorneys whose work helps Nevadans in so many ways: keeping families safe, protecting children in foster case, ending domestic violence, helping families stay in their homes and stopping consumer fraud” said Barbara Buckley, executive director of Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada. “We fight year-round to close the justice gap, and I urge lawyers and companies to join our fight to deliver pro bono services to individuals who cannot afford an attorney.”
The Pro Bono Attorney of the Year winner is Marjorie A. Guymon of Goldsmith and Guymon, P.C. Marjorie is a devoted and longstanding pro bono volunteer with the Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada’s Pro Bono Project. She takes multiple cases a year and participates in several programs with Legal Aid Center, including the Family Law Ask-a-Lawyer and Partners in Pro Bono. Leading by example, Marjorie and her firm, Goldsmith & Guymon, recognize the community need for free and discounted legal services and integrate it into their daily practice.
Ballard Spahr, has been selected as the Pro Bono Law Firm of the Year. The firm contributed the most hours of any firm this year. Ballard Spahr embodies the ideals of pro bono service and at a time when a return to the courtroom stretched firm capacity, this firm stepped up in a major way to help close the justice gap.
The following individuals and firms were also recognized for their outstanding contributions:
- Lied Award for Most Hours by a Law Firm: Ballard Spahr, LLP
- Lied Award for Most Cases by a Law Firm: Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie
- Lied Award for Most Hours by an Attorney: Dawn Hathaway Thoman
- Lied Award for Most Cases by an Attorney: Andréa L. Vieira & Keiara A. Stevenson
- William S. Boyd Award of Excellence: R&R Partners
- Justice Nancy Becker Pro Bono Award of Judicial Excellence: Justice James Hardesty
- Vince Consul Memorial Pro Bono Award: Dan R. Waite
- Louie Wiener Pro Bono Service Award: Shannon R. Wilson
- Myrna Williams Children’s Pro Bono Award: Keiara Stevenson
- Volunteer Education Advocate Award: Stephanie Stolz
- Public Interest Law Student of Distinction: Priscila Venzor
- Ask-A-Lawyer Community Commitment Award: Michelle Darquea
For more photos, please visit: https://www.lacsnprobono.org/awards