The City of Las Vegas is hosting a public meeting on Wednesday, January 17th from 5:30-7pm at the Historic Fifth School about an affordable live/work housing project in the 18b Las Vegas Arts District. To RSVP please click here.
The city is working with Artspace, a nonprofit real estate organization specializing in creating workforce housing, live/work apartments for artists, creators and their families, to create a feasibility study. The study will explore potential sites, funding and financing, and preferences for artist housing and creative space. In addition to the public meeting, the city and Artspace will conduct focus groups of artists, creatives and cultural organizations to gather input from the community. ArtSpace will take all these elements to recommend next steps for the city.
The city has been working with the arts community to create a master plan to help bolster the Arts District for the last year and a half. One of the key findings from the study is that many are concerned about the loss of arts, artists and creative spaces in the Arts District. Recommendations in the master plan include:
- Expand the Arts District boundaries; formalize Its identity
- Support the formation of a Business Improvement District to support arts district initiatives
- Create new spaces to facilitate artistic creation, education and training
- Establish affordable space for artists to live and work
- Unite the arts and business communities